Renting an apartment can be overwhelming. That is why it is important you work with an agent that you have rapport with and can trust. Here are some important steps to the rental process:
- The Search: Be specific and clear. Communicate with your agent what your must-haves are, and which parts of your search criteria are negotiable. The more detail you provide, the more efficient your search will be. Do you your research. Check out different neighborhoods and assess your daily commute, parking needs and public transportation options.
- The Showings: The day of the showings, be prepared to ask questions.
- What are move-in costs? Move-in costs are typically first month’s rent, last month’s rent, a security deposit and the broker’s fee.
- Is parking included in the rent or is it an extra cost?
- What public transportation is available at this location?
- If you find your new apartment, be prepared to put down a deposit for first month’s rent with your application. Your agent will present your application to the landlord and get an answer for you in about 24-48 hours.
Approval: Once you’re approved, you will sit down to do a lease signing and pay the rest of the funds (last month, security, broker fee). Work with your agent to establish next steps.